20 Fun Things To Do with Kids in Sacramento
20 Fun Things to Do with Kids in Sacramento
Things to do in Sacramento with Kids – Sacramento offers countless opportunities for fun! Looking for fun things to do with kids in and around Sacramento? Check out our unique list of 20 fun things to do with kids in Sacramento.
Adventure & Excitement
Families with an appetite for adventure will love these thrill-inducing fun things to do with kids in Sacramento.
1) Rockin’ Jump Roseville! The Ultimate Indoor Trampoline Park. They are people like us who want to exercise, but also like to have fun. Lots of fun. So instead of stairclimbers and weight machines, they decided to create a place where you can soar in open jump arenas, play trampoline dodgeball, lasertag, do flips and somersaults.
They also have a new alternative in Roseville for birthday parties and family gatherings, where quality food and private party rooms were guaranteed, and your kids could safely play while we socialized with other parents. From kids’ parties to corporate retreats, church groups to family reunions, and of course vacationers who just want to enjoy themselves. You can visit their website here.
2) SeaQuest newest location at Palladio at Broadstone in Folsom, California is open! Visit SeaQuest and take an adventure through rainforests, deserts and the depths of the seas. With exciting exhibits and activities for families and children of all ages, you’ll be able to get wet with the stingrays, feed birds and reptiles, encounter the caimans, marvel at the sharks, take selfies with the snakes and much more.
Conveniently located, SeaQuest immerses you in a complete world of adventure. With exhibits packed to the gills with flashy fish, brightly-colored birds, riveting reptiles and more, it’s a splash of adventure for families and kids of all ages.
3) Urban Air Sacramento located at Arden is a new ultimate indoor adventure park. People may know them for their trampolines (because they’re awesome), but that’s just the tip of the Urban Air iceberg. Once you get inside, you’ll see what they mean. It takes an adventurous soul to experience all of their attractions in one visit.
There’s so much to do inside Urban Air that you might have to come back for a second visit. Once you’ve experienced the adventure park for yourself, you’ll see what they mean when they say that they are more than just a trampoline park.
Test your skills in the Warrior Obstacle Course, compete with friends, or practice your own tricks freestyle. No matter how you choose to play, you can take it to the next level at Urban Air.
The Boulder Field
4) Spend a day at an Indoor Climbing Facility. The Boulder Field (TBF) is Sacramento’s newest and most exciting rock climbing and fitness gym. For climbers, TBF offers 10,000 SF of the best bouldering (i.e., climbing without ropes and harnesses, all under 14 feet, with falls onto a highly engineered mat) and climbing training areas in the nation. TBF is a great place to take your kids all day to expend their energy and a great place for a birthday party. Visit their website for facility hours and birthday party packages.
5) Monster Mini Golf was born out of our innovative desire to make the timeless game of mini golf cool, unique and accessible year-round, as well as our passion for entertaining and providing second to none guest service. At Monster Mini Golf, we love what we do, because we get to deliver the most unique and quirky brand of Family Entertainment to guests, of all ages.
Monster Mini Golf is a stimulating one-of-a-kind mini golf experience! Imagine 18 holes of glow-in-the-dark beaming blacklight mini golf surrounded by custom designed art and creative and animated props. We have combined wit, humor, and relatable pop-culture and history to create walls of artwork belonging to the town and state of the actual location. While golfing, humans interact with our creatively FUN and animated monsters at every twist and turn! They move, they talk, they wiggle, and they squawk, and this is just the beginning!
6) Rebounderz Sacramento is Sacramento’s extreme fun center trampoline park that offers entertainment options for the whole family! Enjoy a massive combination jumper with interconnected trampoline beds, a 4-lane air pit, 4-lane basketball slam, trampoline dodgeball, JumpXtreme Tower, rock climbing wall (coming Spring 2019), 3-lane Ninja Warrior course for adults and kids, with a ground course for our youngest ninjas.
Additionally, their entertainment center offers an enormous, indoor playground and toddler park for children 2-12, a cafe and adult lounge with free Wi-Fi, arcade games and skill games with redemption toys, fitness classes, and a large events room with the ability to book private jump areas. Visit their website here.
Enjoy the Great Outdoors
Our region’s natural beauty offers families a variety of fun things to do with kids in Sacramento in the out-of-doors. Our favorite place to explore nature in Sacramento include:
Paddle Lake Natoma
7) Spend a day on the lake! Lake Natoma is located near Folsom and is the perfect location for renting canoes, kayaks or hydro bikes for a day of fun. Hourly boat rentals are available and include everything you need (including life jackets) for a relaxing day on the water. To get more details, visit the boat rental website.
8) Visit a wildlife refuge! Sacramento is home to the picturesque Sacramento National Wildlife Complex which is made up of five wildlife refuges and three wildlife management areas. Whether you choose an auto tour, hiking trails, or a bicycle path, kids will love seeing tons of wildlife in this beautiful habitat. For more information or to plan your visit, go to their website.
9) Tour a fish hatchery! Nimbus Fish Hatchery is close to home and sits along Sacramento’s American River. The hatchery is run by the California Department of Fish and Wildlife and produces 4,000,000 Chinook salmon and 430,000 Steelhead trout every year. The center is a favorite among local kids, who enjoy learning about the biology of salmon, hatchery operations and river conservation through interactive exhibits in the visitor center. The hatchery is open from 10 am to 3 pm daily. Learn more or plan your visit.
Enjoy Kids’ Workshops
Several area retailers offer fun, free workshops especially for youngsters. Our favorites Fun Things to do with kids in Sacramento with kids workshops are:
10) Home Depot. Every month, area Home Depot locations host free activity workshops especially for kids. The stores provide all of the supplies and instruction for the project. Your kids complete the project during the workshop and take home their creation when they’re done. Kids also get a complimentary orange apron, and a certificate for completing the project. To learn about one of the upcoming workshops, visit the Home Depot Kids Workshop webpage.
Learning & Creativity
Foster your child’s appreciation for learning and creativity with a visit to one of our area’s science or arts venues. Our top picks for fun things to do with kids in Sacramento that include creativity and exploration include:
11) Just For Fun Art is different than other painting event companies. Unlike most companies, they have their own private studio. The Art Studio seats up to 35 comfortably. They can also bring the paint party to your home or venue. They provide everything except the table and chairs.
They also have summer art camps and open studio days. They offer services, classes, and professional supplies for Face Painting and Balloon Twisting, Henna, Glitter Tattoos and much more. You can visit their website here.
12) Visit a science center! Explorit Science Center in Davis provides children with the opportunity to partake in hands-on science exploration through programs that connect science to everyday life. The center offers family exploration programs on weekends, which are informal, hands-on activity sessions for all ages of children and adults. The programs sometimes feature take-home products. Explorit often invites community scientists to lead these programs where they share their expertise with the families. To plan your visit or view the event calendar, visit their website.
13) Learn the art of comedy! Sacramento’sComedy Spot is the perfect place to give kids an early start at developing a sharp mind and a quick wit while having fun. They offer special youth Saturday workshops to introduce kids to performance techniques, and take part in improvisational games within a fun, supportive environment. These Saturday Workshops are two-hours long, and parents are encouraged to stay to enjoy their child’s comedic performance. They also have special events periodically, which are published on the Comedy Spot calendar.
History & Museums
Sacramento’s historic past offers many opportunities for fun and enrichment. When looking for things to do in Sacramento with kids, young and old alike will enjoy these interesting and educational places to visit:
Aerospace Museum of California
14) Go to a Museum! The Aerospace Museum of California is an excellent place to learn about space exploration and see the future of manned and unmanned space travel. Pilot your own adventure in one of our many STEM activity centers, including building stations, maker’s crafts, and high-tech flight simulators.
Come explore one of aviation’s greatest showcases at the Aerospace Museum located at McClellan Business Park in Sacramento, approximately 20 minutes from Downtown. Celebrate aviation’s past, present, and future while engaging in hands-on experiences for the whole family. From their movie motion ride to state-of-the-art flight simulators, climb aboard and let your dreams take flight!
15) Take a historic tour! The Sacramento History Museum offers lots of amazing tours including underground tours of Old Sacramento. You’ll be amazed to learn how Sacramento lifted itself up out of flood waters during the 1860s. This incredible tour shows visitors the secrets of the hollow sidewalks, sloped alleyways, and the Underground spaces themselves. Learn more about the tours and purchase tickets using their online reservation page.
Historic Preston Castle
16) Visit a castle! Located east of Elk Grove is the historic Preston Castle in Ione. The beautiful structure was built in the 1890s but is now a deserted castle that has been opened to the public for tours. Visitors will gain an interesting glimpse into the history behind the castle’s walls. Take a tour through parts of the massive building to see it’s 250 windows overlooking the foothills. During the tour, you’ll be awestruck by this massive and historic structure. Tours are given most Saturdays and reservations are not necessary.
Don’t let the setting sun put a damper on your family’s fun… check out these options for things to do in Sacramento with kids after the stars come out:
17) Go to a drive-in movie! Let your kids experience a unique and historic slice of Americana with a visit to Sacramento’s West Wind drive-in. West Wind offers a relaxed environment mixing old-school vibes with the latest digital technology. You’ll gaze upon crystal-clear images while listening to audio transmitted through your car’s stereo. Families can on the play structure or grab a treat from the snack bar before the show. They feature first run movies at the same time as indoor theaters and even have midnight screenings and early openings. Visit their website to learn more or to view show times.
18) Visit an Escape Room! Escape rooms are hugely popular and are appropriate for kids age 10 and older. These fun challenges rely on play and teamwork to solve a real-life mystery. Team members seek clues and solve puzzles tied to a story or theme to escape before time runs out, usually one hour. Several Escape Room venues have opened in Sacramento. These include Red Door Escape Room, Escape Sacramento and Enchambered.
Enjoy Some Baseball
If you are looking for a fun family event in Sacramento where you can enjoy the fresh outdoor air and munch on some hot dogs, then watching a baseball game is for you.
19) Watch a Sacramento River Cats game! The Sacramento River Cats are a Minor League Baseball team based in West Sacramento, California. The team is the Triple-A affiliate of Major League Baseball’s San Francisco Giants. The 2019 season starts on April 4th, 2019. Visit their website for more information and their season schedule.
If you’re looking for something fun things to do in sacramento with kids to do while giving back to the community, consider a family service opportunity:
20) Volunteer! When looking for fun things to do in Sacramento with kids, giving back to the community feels good and is a fun for all ages. The City of Sacramento’s Volunteer Program has a variety of volunteer opportunities for youth and adults. Their youth service projects can be short-term or ongoing projects such as cleaning up parks, spiffing up playgrounds, helping at a River Cats game or cleaning up a creek. Visit their website for a full list of youth volunteer opportunities.
Regardless of your child’s age or interests, there are lots of opportunities for family fun things to do in sacramento with kids.
Find even more things to do in Sacramento with kids by checking out our Things To Do category.
Subscribe to Blog via Email
Michele is a freelance writer based in Sacramento county. She lives in Elk Grove with her husband, two children and four cats. Michele is proud of her role as a working mother and maintains a full-time career. Writing is one of Michele’s passions and she aims to share her unique perspective on parenting through the written word.View All Posts