20 Fun Things To Do with Kids in Sacramento
20 Fun Things to Do with Kids in Sacramento
Things to do in Sacramento with Kids – Sacramento offers countless opportunities for fun! Looking for fun things to do with kids in and around Sacramento? Check out our unique list of 20 fun things to do with kids in Sacramento.
Adventure & Excitement
Families with an appetite for adventure will love these thrill-inducing fun things to do with kids in Sacramento.
1) Rockin’ Jump Roseville! The Ultimate Indoor Trampoline Park. They are people like us who want to exercise, but also like to have fun. Lots of fun. So instead of stairclimbers and weight machines, they decided to create a place where you can soar in open jump arenas, play trampoline dodgeball, lasertag, do flips and somersaults. They also have a new alternative in Roseville for birthday parties and family gatherings, where quality food and private party rooms were guaranteed, and your kids could safely play while we socialized with other parents. From kids’ parties to corporate retreats, church groups to family reunions, and of course vacationers who just want to enjoy themselves. You can visit their website here.
2) Rebounderz Sacramento is Sacramento’s extreme fun center trampoline park that offers entertainment options for the whole family! Enjoy a massive combination jumper with interconnected trampoline beds, a 4-lane air pit, 4-lane basketball slam, trampoline dodgeball, JumpXtreme Tower, rock climbing wall (coming Spring 2019), 3-lane Ninja Warrior course for adults and kids, with a ground course for our youngest ninjas.
Additionally, their entertainment center offers an enormous, indoor playground and toddler park for children 2-12, a cafe and adult lounge with free Wi-Fi, arcade games and skill games with redemption toys, fitness classes, and a large events room with the ability to book private jump areas. Visit their website here.
3) At Luv 2 Play they provide a safe and fun environment that will allow kids to be kids and parents a piece of mind. Their large structure is fun and exciting for kids of all ages including parents whom they welcome to join in on the fun (If they want)! They have separate areas for those littles that are full of energy but not quite ready to keep up with big kids. Their kinetic sand tables are a great for sensory play and relaxing while fostering creativity. The arcade is fun way for kids to spend time and a chance to win some prizes! Visit their website.
Enjoy the Great Outdoors
Our region’s natural beauty offers families a variety of fun things to do with kids in Sacramento in the out-of-doors. Our favorite place to explore nature in Sacramento include:
Paddle Lake Natoma
4) Spend a day on the lake! Lake Natoma is located near Folsom and is the perfect location for renting canoes, kayaks or hydro bikes for a day of fun. Hourly boat rentals are available and include everything you need (including life jackets) for a relaxing day on the water. To get more details, visit the boat rental website.
5) Visit a wildlife refuge! Sacramento is home to the picturesque Sacramento National Wildlife Complex which is made up of five wildlife refuges and three wildlife management areas. Whether you choose an auto tour, hiking trails, or a bicycle path, kids will love seeing tons of wildlife in this beautiful habitat. For more information or to plan your visit, go to their website.
6) Tour a fish hatchery! Nimbus Fish Hatchery is close to home and sits along Sacramento’s American River. The hatchery is run by the California Department of Fish and Wildlife and produces 4,000,000 Chinook salmon and 430,000 Steelhead trout every year. The center is a favorite among local kids, who enjoy learning about the biology of salmon, hatchery operations and river conservation through interactive exhibits in the visitor center. The hatchery is open from 10 am to 3 pm daily. Learn more or plan your visit.
Farm-to-Fork & Fun-for-All
Sacramento is the Farm-to-Fork capital of the nation, so it should come as no surprise that we’d include kids-friendly activities for our region’s local food production and sustainability. Our favorite family-friendly recommendations include:
7) Visit a Farmer’s Market! Farmer’s markets are so much more than open-air markets, and there’s lots of kid-friendly things to see and do. These are fun, community events often have live-music, education, special events and are fun for all ages. They often feature kid-friendly exhibits and products to put a smile on your child’s face. To find the farmer’s market nearest you, visit the California Grown official website.
8) Browse a Bazaar! Denio’s in Roseville is a has been a regional institution for 70 years and offers the largest, cleanest, and most efficiently run Farmer’s Market, Auction, and Bazaar in California. Denio’s is a family-oriented open-air market with literally hundreds of vendors offering every kind of merchandise imaginable. There’s lots to see, do and buy at this massive, family-friendly bazaar. Denio’s even has special events throughout the year that are especially fun for kids… such as the 2017 Toy Mania event featuring hard-to-find toys. Get information on hours, location and vendors on their website.
Enjoy Kids’ Workshops
Several area retailers offer fun, free workshops especially for youngsters. Our favorites Fun Things to do with kids in Sacramento with kids workshops are:
9) Home Depot. Every month, area Home Depot locations host free activity workshops especially for kids. The stores provide all of the supplies and instruction for the project. Your kids complete the project during the workshop and take home their creation when they’re done. Kids also get a complimentary orange apron, and a certificate for completing the project. To learn about one of the upcoming workshops, visit the Home Depot Kids Workshop webpage.
10) The Lego Store. A favorite at the Arden Fair mall, the Lego Store has frequent events especially for kids. These events happen throughout the month and are matched with age-appropriate Lego products. Events include things like a Lego monthly mini model build (open to Lego loyalty members), Technic Tuesdays where kids get the chance to build and race Technic vehicles, Minifigure Swap Mondays, or special Family Game Nights… there are just too many to list them all. Visit their website for a complete listing of upcoming events.
11) Bass Pro Shops. Throughout the year, Bass Pro Shop’s Rocklin location hosts special kids’ workshops where they provide guidance and supplies for a special child-friendly activity. Activities depend on the season but can include things like flower pots, bandanas, bear track magnets, door hangers, etc. Other in-store special activities include things such as a catch-and-release pond, sling-shot shooting arcade and casting challenges. Kids will also love watching the fish-feeding in the store’s 12,000 gallon freshwater aquarium (feedings are on Saturday and Sunday at 1 pm). To learn about upcoming events, craft schedules and more, visit the events page on the Bass Pro Shop website.
Learning & Creativity
Foster your child’s appreciation for learning and creativity with a visit to one of our area’s science or arts venues. Our top picks for fun things to do with kids in Sacramento that include creativity and exploration include:
Color Me Mine
12) Visit a science center! Explorit Science Center in Davis provides children with the opportunity to partake in hands-on science exploration through programs that connect science to everyday life. The center offers family exploration programs on weekends, which are informal, hands-on activity sessions for all ages of children and adults. The programs sometimes feature take-home products. Explorit often invites community scientists to lead these programs where they share their expertise with the families. To plan your visit or view the event calendar, visit their website.
13) Create pottery! Color Me Mine in Elk Grove has perfected the art of having fun. You pick out your ceramic item and paint it, while the store fires it before you are able to take it home. They offer hundreds of ceramic shapes and dozens of colors of paint. The center is perfect for family activities, as you can sit back and spending quality creative time together. They offer special events throughout the year, or you can drop in seven days a week to create your special project together. For more information, visit the Kids section on their website.
14) Learn the art of comedy! Sacramento’s Comedy Spot is the perfect place to give kids an early start at developing a sharp mind and a quick wit while having fun. They offer special youth Saturday workshops to introduce kids to performance techniques, and take part in improvisational games within a fun, supportive environment. These Saturday Workshops are two-hours long, and parents are encouraged to stay to enjoy their child’s comedic performance. They also have special events periodically, which are published on the Comedy Spot calendar.
History & Museums
Sacramento’s historic past offers many opportunities for fun and enrichment. When looking for things to do in Sacramento with kids, young and old alike will enjoy these interesting and educational places to visit:
Sacramento Children’s Museum
15) Go to a Museum! Sacramento Children’s Museum is an excellent choice for helping kids to expand their problem-solving skills through creative exploration. The museum is open to the general public every day except Monday, and they also offer a variety of weekly and monthly programming designed to provide children and their families with diverse and engaging learning experiences. These ongoing programs are included with admission to the museum. To explore their exhibits online or plan your visit, check out their website.
16) Take a historic tour! The Sacramento History Museum offers lots of amazing tours including underground tours of Old Sacramento. You’ll be amazed to learn how Sacramento lifted itself up out of flood waters during the 1860s. This incredible tour shows visitors the secrets of the hollow sidewalks, sloped alleyways, and the Underground spaces themselves. Learn more about the tours and purchase tickets using their online reservation page.
Historic Preston Castle
17) Visit a castle! Located east of Elk Grove is the historic Preston Castle in Ione. The beautiful structure was built in the 1890s but is now a deserted castle that has been opened to the public for tours. Visitors will gain an interesting glimpse into the history behind the castle’s walls. Take a tour through parts of the massive building to see it’s 250 windows overlooking the foothills. During the tour, you’ll be awestruck by this massive and historic structure. Tours are given most Saturdays and reservations are not necessary.
Don’t let the setting sun put a damper on your family’s fun… check out these options for things to do in Sacramento with kids after the stars come out:
18) Go to a drive-in movie! Let your kids experience a unique and historic slice of Americana with a visit to Sacramento’s West Wind drive-in. West Wind offers a relaxed environment mixing old-school vibes with the latest digital technology. You’ll gaze upon crystal-clear images while listening to audio transmitted through your car’s stereo. Families can on the play structure or grab a treat from the snack bar before the show. They feature first run movies at the same time as indoor theaters and even have midnight screenings and early openings. Visit their website to learn more or to view show times.
19) Visit an Escape Room! Escape rooms are hugely popular and are appropriate for kids age 10 and older. These fun challenges rely on play and teamwork to solve a real-life mystery. Team members seek clues and solve puzzles tied to a story or theme to escape before time runs out, usually one hour. Several Escape Room venues have opened in Sacramento. These include Escape Sacramento , Red Door Escape Room and Enchambered.
If you’re looking for something fun things to do in sacramento with kids to do while giving back to the community, consider a family service opportunity:
20) Volunteer! When looking for fun things to do in Sacramento with kids, giving back to the community feels good and is a fun for all ages. The City of Sacramento’s Volunteer Program has a variety of volunteer opportunities for youth and adults. Their youth service projects can be short-term or ongoing projects such as cleaning up parks, spiffing up playgrounds, helping at a River Cats game or cleaning up a creek. Visit their website for a full list of youth volunteer opportunities.
Regardless of your child’s age or interests, there are lots of opportunities for family fun things to do in sacramento with kids.
Find even more things to do in Sacramento with kids by checking out our Things To Do category.
Subscribe to Blog via Email
Michele is a freelance writer based in Sacramento county. She lives in Elk Grove with her husband, two children and four cats. Michele is proud of her role as a working mother and maintains a full-time career. Writing is one of Michele’s passions and she aims to share her unique perspective on parenting through the written word.View All Posts